Saturday, February 26, 2011

Big Leagues... For a Day

Garret and Red Sox 3B Kevin Youkilis
One of the greatest college baseball traditions comes in early spring training every February.  The Boston College baseball team travels down to Fort Meyers, Florida and plays an exhibition game against the Boston Red Sox.  My best friend, Garret Smith a high school teammate of mine (Chad), plays catcher for Boston College.  I asked him to write about what it is like as a college athlete to play against not only a major league team, but a team that we both grew up loving.

In New England, it’s every kids dream to one day grow up and play for the Boston Red Sox. As a senior at Boston College, I get the opportunity to play the Red Sox every year during our spring break trip. As a freshman, our coach threw me into the fire when he put me into the starting lineup against the Sox. It was a dream of a life time; I was a boy amongst men. I never thought in a million years I would be playing against my favorite team.  I was slated to face one of the best arms in the majors, Josh Beckett. When I heard the news that we were going to face Beckett, I told my friends I was going to take him deep, but the chances of that were like winning the lottery.  Facing Beckett was an experience I will never forget, actually making contact with a pitch was a plus for my confidence.
During batting practice we get the chance to meet the players that we see on NESN every night. This was the best part of the whole day because we try to pick all the guys brains and watch their routines, getting insight to how big leaguers go about their business. Everything they hit was hard and to the gaps with most of them hitting monstrous homeruns.  They made everything look so easy.  Why couldn’t I make it look that easy? That’s why they are in the show, everything they did screamed big league.
When it came down to game time, it was just like any other game. Coaches say the opponent is nameless and faceless, but that is thrown out the window once you play the Red Sox. I caught the first inning of this year’s game, which is the best time to catch because that’s when the heart of the lineup comes to bat. I am welcomed with a nice greeting from Marco Scutaro, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis. I try and make mini conversation with them about chicks, their gear and whatever is relevant at the time. When it comes down to it, they are genuinely nice guys.
Over the past few years I have become particularly friendly with Kevin Youkilis.  Kevin and I have worked out in the off-season at Boston College hitting together.  I have found Kevin to be a very friendly and down-to-earth guy.  He is always willing to help me with my swing or any infield tips.  We share baseball stories, even though his are way cooler than the ones I have to share.  I will miss the whole Red Sox experience during the beginning of every season.  The whole day is a great experience for both teams, it shows us what it’s like to make it to the top, and it shows the big league guys how much passion us college guys have about the game. It was a blast every year to play one of the greatest baseball teams of all time. This game reminds me every year why baseball is the greatest sport on earth.  

The Eagles lost to the Red Sox on Saturday 6-0.  Despite being shut out it was a day that all of the Eagles will never forget.  As for us, we conclude our weekend in North Carolina tomorrow (Sunday) morning.  We will be back in Poughkeepsie on Monday when we will check back in. In the mean time check out Kyle and I featured on the College Baseball Insider this past Friday!

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment